Momentive Silicone RTVs for Aerospace & Aviation
Momentive Performance Materials has a long history in the Aerospace and Aviation Industry, the range of Silicone RTV's they offer are an excellent choice for many applications. The Si-O backbone of silicones provides excellent temperature performance, both high temperature stability and low temperature flexibility for extreme temperatures, excellent dielectric properties, and outstanding weatherability resistance for extreme environments.
Low Outgassing Silicones
Low outgassing solutions are needed to protect crew compartments and sensitive optical equipment from material contamination in extreme temperatures. Momentive offers an expanding line of low outgassing silicones for sealing, protective coatings, electronics packaging, thermal interface materials, thermal protection systems and photovoltaic array assembly. The grades meet or exceed the ASTM E-595 standard outlined in NASA SP-R-0022A and European Space Agency PSS-014-702.
Silicone RTVs for Thermal Protection Systems
These silicones maintain critical properties for an extended time over a wide range of extreme temperatures encountered by spacecraft (-130°C to 260°C). They remain flexible in the extreme low temperatures of space and have excellent thermal insulation properties. They are low outgassing and offer very high structural adhesion. They come in different viscosities from paste to flowable and some are electrically conductive.
Key Requirements for Aerospace
Aerospace material specifications can be met with specific adhesive grades varying in viscosity, cure speed, optical, electrical and thermal properties.
- High corrosion and fatique resistance
- Low flame, smoke and toxicity characteristics
- Flame retardancy
- Exceptional mechanical properties
- High strength-to-weight ratio
- Low coefficient of thermal expansion
- Halogen free formulations
- Noise and vibrational damping
- Compliance with stringent health, safety and environmental legislation
- Durability in harsh environments
- High and low temperature resistance
Potential Applications for these Aerospace grades include:
- Cast in place heat shielding
- Crew capsule applications
- Thermal insulation of sensitive components
- Protective coatings for critical equipment
- Encapsulants & potting for high heat locations
- Interior & exterior adhesives
- Flexible composite coatings