A Technical Guide to Bonded & Self-Centring Seals
Originally designed to replace copper washers in higher pressure systems, bonded seals are simple in construction but very reliable. Made up from an elastomeric ring bonded to a metal form (either circular, square or rectangle in shape); the metal disc resists the bursting forces and so limits any distortion of the elastomeric element.
Benefits of Bonded Seals
- Reliable for high and low pressure sealing
- Offers wide temperature resistance
- Metal ring prevents over-compression and extrusion
- Available in a wide range of different elastomers and metals, with all European thread sizes obtainable.
Self-Centring Bonded Seals
Self-centring seals were developed to eliminate leaks due to the seal becoming offset; very similar to the bonded seal but with the additional benefit of pre-assembly on to the threads, reducing production line costs. The thin seal membrane offers little resistance during assembly.
Benefits of Self-Centring Bonded Seals
- Concentrically located
- Positively retained
- Aids the ease of assembly, offers the ability to pre-assemble
- Optimises component stocking
- Simplifies location machining
Understanding Bonded Seal Part Numbers
For more detailed information on available references please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.